Congratulations to Linda Smigaj, Eddie Price, and M.W. Adams! Their books: Little Miss Grubby Toes, Steps on a Bee!, Mayflower: Fly on the Wall Series, and OUTBACK: Bothers & Sinisters, were selected as medalists in the 2016 Florida Authors and Publishers Association (FAPA) President’s Awards. Gold, silver, and bronze medalists will be announced at the 2016 FAPA President’s Awards Banquet on Saturday, August 6, 2016, at the Hilton Orlando/Lake Buena Vista Hotel at the Walt Disney World Resort.
The awards banquet follows FAPA’s Annual Conference: Capture Your Publishing Dream. Over a dozen publishing professionals including Eddie Price will speak on topics from intellectual property to niche marketing. The annual conference not only open to FAPA members, but also authors and publishers nationally. Hotel reservations can be made at FAPA’s group rate of $126.00 at Hilton Orlando/Lake Buena Vista Hotel at the Walt Disney World Resort.
Once again, congratulations to Linda Smigaj, Eddie Price, and M.W. Adams!
Reviewed by Jack Magnus for Readers’ Favorite
Mayflower: Fly on the Wall Series is an educational book for children written by Linda Smigaj and illustrated by Mark W. Adams. This historical tale is narrated by a Dutch cheese fly, named Anna, whose quest for adventure leads her to join forces with the Pilgrims on their 66-day journey aboard the Mayflower. Anna narrates how the Pilgrims and the other passengers bound for the New World had originally been scheduled to travel on another ship, but problems with its seaworthiness led to their voyage on the Mayflower, a merchant ship that had never carried passengers before. The daily life of those passengers was filled with hardships, as the ship had neither living quarters nor facilities and proper space for them. Storms and rough seas were especially difficult for all concerned. Despite the challenges of their journey, all on board, save for one sailor, survived the Atlantic crossing.
Linda Smigaj’s educational book for children, Mayflower: Fly on the Wall Series, is filled with fascinating and little-known historical facts that make this Fly on the Wall book a particularly interesting read for both children and adults. Anna’s narrative is beautifully brought to life by the pen and ink and watercolor illustrations of Mark W. Adams. I instantly knew I was in for a treat when I opened the book to the illustrations showing the parts of the ship and the areas where the Pilgrims and the other passengers spent their time aboard the Mayflower. And while I was fully aware that I was reading an historical and educational book, it felt more as if I were reading an adventure tale, and an exhilarating one at that. What a marvelous way to introduce history to young readers! This very entertaining and informative work also contains a glossary and an appendix filled with more little known facts about the Mayflower’s journey. Mayflower: Fly on the Wall Series is most highly recommended.
“Dear Mr. Adams,
I met you at the Christmas Made in the South show in Macon, Georgia last November. I bought a copy of the book, Nicholas, That’s Ridiculous!, and I just have to tell you how pleased I was with that book! The story line was perfect for my best friend’s five-year-old grandson. However, your illustrations were the true selling point; I love the expressions and the level of detail you include in each and every picture! I found the illustrations very engaging, and I feel sure that the new owner of the book will enjoy having it read to him again and again…
Thanks for autographing the book for me. This one is a true ‘keeper!’”
Judy D. Jaeger
Looking for interesting books to spark summer reading? Check out these fun reads at the local library, bookstore, or online. If titles aren’t available in the library system, kindly request they be added.
This list includes a variety of books for all reading levels. From AR* (Accelerated Readers) to chapter books—ignite reading interest for students this summer!
- G’DAY: Aints*—M. W. Adams
- DOWN UNDER: Kussins*—M. W. Adams
- OUTBACK: Bothers & Sinisters*—M. W. Adams
- Eli’s Balloon—Candace Ruffin
- Frozen Floppies—John Hope
- Parts of Speech Parade: New York City—Irina Dolinskiy
- Nicholas, That’s Ridiculous! A Story About Being a Boy*—Christa Carpenter
- Jilli, That’s Silly! A Story About Being a Girl*—Christa Carpenter
- Eddie, That’s Spaghetti! A Story About Being a Dog*—Christa Carpenter
- Little Miss Grubby Toes, Plays with Fire!*—Eddie Price
- Little Miss Grubby Toes, Steps on a Bee!*—Eddie Price
- Little Miss Grubby Toes, Falls in the Pool!*—Eddie Price
- Scribble Dee Sophie: A Story for Young Artists and Their Parents—Karen Spruill
- Teddy Tales: The Adventures of a Rescue Puppy and His Friends*—Karen Spruill
- King for a Day, the Story of Stories*—Mark Wayne Adams
- Good NightMare—Mark Wayne Adams
- Miss Mary’s Missing Book Bag—Mark Wayne Adams
- Field of Dreams—Mark Hoog
- Treasure Island—Mark Hoog
- Dream Machine—Mark Hoog
- Your Song—Mark Hoog
- Magic Mountain—Mark Hoog
- Johari’s Joy—Carol Hensel
- Lu and the Earth Bug Crew, Zap the Energy Spikes—Derek Sabori
- Guinea in My Cap?—Wanda Hughes
- Lost in Boston*—Jane R. Wood
- Ghosts on the Coast: a Visit to Savannah and the Low Country*—Jane R. Wood
- Trouble on the St. John’s River*—Jane R. Wood
- Adventures on Amelia Island: a Pirate, a Princess, and a Buried Treasure*—Jane R. Wood
- Voices in St. Augustine*—Jane R. Wood
- Jace’s Adventure in the Forbidden Forest—Diane Harper
- Jace’s Adventure at Crystal Lagoon—Diane Harper
- A Dolly, A Dog, and A Camper—Kay Whitehouse
- Dolly Becomes a Scout—Kay Whitehouse
- A Hand Truck Named Dolly—Kay Whitehouse
- Dinosaurs Living in MY HAIR?—Jayne Rose-Vallee
- The Rocket Ship Bed Trip—N. Jane Quackenbush
Angela Adams received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Accounting and Spanish from Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida. She is a Certified Public Accountant with active licenses in Florida as well as Kentucky, and has nearly 20 years experience in both public and private accounting. In August 2013, she joined her husband Mark’s illustration and publishing Company, Mark Wayne Adams, Inc., full-time as the Treasurer/Chief Financial Officer.
Angela became a member of the FAPA Board of Directors to expand her knowledge of the publishing industry. For the past nine years she has been partially involved in the growth and development of her husband’s illustration and publishing business. Now that they are both dedicating 100% of our time to the business, it is essential that she continues to enhance her knowledge by getting involved in organizations such as FAPA. Given her background and experience in accounting and business, she adds value to every organization.
Angela resides in Longwood, Florida with her husband, Mark; two children, Isabella and Carter; and their dogs, Russell and Libbi. Angela Adams can be reached at email@example.com.