10 Steps That Create Successful Events
You’ve scheduled a author/illustrator visit. The date is reserved. So, what’s next?
Next make others aware of who is visiting. Below is the AIM Kit (Author/Illustrator Media Kit). Events become more fun, memorable, and stress-free by using these forms created for educators. Not all forms apply. Use the forms that fit your event.
1. AIM Kit: Download the entire AIM Kit here. This includes: table of contents, letter of intent, bio, awards, order form, posters, activities, and more.
2. Author Bio: Use the Author Biography page to educate teachers about the author. Students will have questions and so will teachers.
3. Contact the Media: Use the Press Release page to share information through the students’ newspaper and TV show. Also share the information with local websites, newspapers, and TV stations.
4. Author Photo: Use the Author Photo to familiarize staff and students.
5. Author Poster: Use the Author Poster to familiarize staff and students about the books and author. Poster includes fields for Date, Time, and Location.
6. Library Book Order Form: Use the Library Book Order Form to order discounted books for your school. A tax exempt certificate is required for all school orders. (Note: Staff orders through the school are accepted. Please notify author.)
7. Student Book Order Form: Use the Student Book Order Form for all taxable orders. Enter the local tax rate on the form prior to distributing. Pre Orders and Post Orders are taken. No books are sold the day of the event. (Note: All book orders are personalized and are nonrefundable.)
8. Activities: Use these Activities to encourage writing and drawing creativity or:
- host a school writing competition
- author luncheon for academics
- teacher and author breakout session
- author interview by students
9. Author Introduction: Use the Author Introduction to give a unique introduction during each session.
10. Write about the Author: Take a class photo with the author at the event. Encourage students to write or draw about the Author’s visit. Discuss the topics that inspired them or mail the collection to the Author.
Thank educators for scheduling an author/illustrator visit. The goal is inspire students and teachers through a positive and stress-free event.
Forms and content are proprietary information. Available for use by event coordinators.
Reading resources: Schools: A Niche Market for Authors written by Jane R. Wood.
© 2008-2017 Mark Wayne Adams, Inc.